In June 2018 the “Lovetank” was rolled out again to film our 3rd Wedding. This was a project that I completed ‘freelance’ and put together a small team to help with the filming of the day.
There was a lot of planning involved and decisions to be made before the day: Technical, logistical and creative.
Many wedding videos will be very short videos in which, similarly to wedding photography, they get the Bride & Groom to pose and ‘act’ and these can come across a bit pretentious. From filming previous weddings we decided the best thing to do would be to document the entire day in a very organic fashion!
…This meant 4 cameras would be rolling for over 12 hours, as well as 2 external audio recorders so plenty of batteries and memory cards were required.
This meant 4 cameras would be rolling for over 12 hours, as well as 2 external audio recorders so plenty of batteries and memory cards were required. I did plenty of testing with the various recording formats to find the sweet spot between quality and file size. I also invested in quite a bit of new gear to improve our production values and as an investment for future video work.
We attended the rehearsal to figure out the best locations for each camera in which we were hidden from the audience but close to the action. We took plenty of test footage and photos to get a feel for how the shots would marry up (pun intended).
The reception was at a nearby Village Hall and we had meticulously planned how to go about filming the speeches, live bands, outdoor events and so on. I won’t ramble on too much – everything went really well!
The next challenge was to edit 36 hours of footage down to 2.5 hours and get it delivered within a few weeks. I used Plural Eyes to sync up all the footage. I tackled the edit in parts, the first pass was often a case of deleting any wobbly or unusable shots, the second and third passes I’d be choosing the best shots and editing between the cameras before finally tidying up the edit and adding subtle improvements such as colour correction, denoising and stabilisation.
The audio was also carefully mixed and mastered before exporting the final videos.
I created a quick website to deliver the final video at MrandMrsGola.com